Recently we reintroduced you to our fox body Mustang we’ve named “Project Resolution“. We finally got a chance to start tearing the car down and really see how bad the hidden accident damage was. We all agreed this is one of the more scary parts of working on an older car, you never know what you’ll find when you start digging in. So Nick, Randy, and myself started taking the front end apart on the car.
During the late 80′s-early 90′s a lot of auto manufacturers were starting to make the switch from SAE hardware to Metric. This project is caught in between the conversion and we found that a lot of the hardware had both SAE and Metric heads. We decided to pull out the Eastwood 150 Piece Tool Kit so that we had all of the metric and SAE tools we needed along the way.
As Nick took the headlights and grille out he found a lot of the bolts were pretty loose and the lights were not sitting square in the radiator support. Once the lights were removed you could see that the mounting points for the lights were bent from the accident and never fixed correctly. We’ll definitely need to address that before we think about reassembling the front end.
While Nick was working on the front end, I decided to get the passenger fender off so we could see how bad the accident damage to the inner fender really was. I started by removing the wheel with the Eastwood Composite Twin Hammer Impact Wrench so I could get to all of the splash guard bolts. After removing the splash shield I got the bolts going through the front bumper and into the fender, and all of the bolts that ran along the top of the inner fender. Once all of the bolts were out the fender came off with little resistance.
After the fender was off we could see the accident damage was about as expected. The worst part was that it looks like the bumper mount for the passenger side compressed and was pushed back and the mounting slot was ripped open. It also looks like the previous owner had drilled numerous holes and installed screws to slide hammer the worst damage out. The strings of filler poking through those holes were tell-tale signs. We’re going to have to spend a lot of time working around the passenger inner fender and frame rail to get this part of the car even respectable looking. I went ahead and removed the front bumper so we can really start assessing the damage.
The car is already looking pretty sad, but it’s only going to get worse before it gets better! Stay tuned for the next update, we hope to get the interior pulled, and start prepping the engine for removal next. We’re just getting started!